This is a list of the articles I've written for publication, with both links to the originals and local copies.
- Point to Point Linux (Local Copy) (October 2004 issue of Linux Journal) - I wrote this about the work I did at Telemetry Investments creating a secure, robust connection between our office and our Disaster Recovery site using a custom linux setup.
- Bloglines, Flickr, and del.icio.us make RSS delectable (Local Copy) (online October 13 2004 on newsforge) - An overview of how to use RSS feeds to manage information with three web-based tools.
- Using Firefox's mozex extension to call an external mail program (Local Copy) (online October 15 2004 on newsforge) - Instructions on how to configure the Firefox web browser to open mailto: links with the mozex extension.
- Even tastier del.icio.us (Local Copy) (online November 4 2004 on newsforge) - additional tip and tricks for using the del.icio.us social bookmark manager.
- Scripting with dmidecode (Local Copy) (online December 23 2004 on newsforge) - analysis of a script I wrote to use dmidecode and some other tools to provide information about the CPUs in a system.
- A Killer App: PDF Editor (Local Copy) (online January 6 2004 on Linux.com) - how to edit pdf files under linux.
- How To Use Mutt, Fastmail, and Mail.app Together on Your Mac (Local Copy) (online January 18 2005 on Mac DevCenter) - integrating the Mac OS X mail appliction with the console mail program Mutt and the webmail service Fastmail.fm.
- Linux Server Management with IPMI (Local Copy) (in March 2005 issue of Sys Admin Magazine) - how to use IPMI to control servers running Linux.
- Convert a Windows System to Dual Boot Linux (Local Copy) (online February 22 2004 on newsforge) - How to add linux to your windows system by installing a second hard drive.
- Motion: Your Eye in the Sky for Computer Room Surveillance (Local Copy) (in March 2005 issue of Linux Journal magazine) - how to monitor your computer room using a network-attached camera and the free motion-detection software Motion.
- A report on the USENIX 2005 Conference day 1, day 2, and day 3 (Local Copy) (April 2005 on OSNews.com) - summary of each day of this year's conference in Anaheim, CA.
- Redundant Routers with Linux and Keepalived (Local Copy) (online April 15 2005 on Linux.com) - a brief howto about configuring redundant routers on a network using the VRRP protocol.
- Rendering Everything As Text (Local Copy) (online May 26 2005 on LinuxDevCenter) - how to convert arbitrary data into textual representations.
- Improving Network Reliability with Keepalived (KeepalivedForNetworkReliability) (online Septemper 1 2005 on LinuxDevCenter) - how to increase network reliability with multiple routers running VRRP via Keepalived.
- Custom Scripting Gives Users a safe-du (Local Copy) (online December 7, 2005 on Linux.com) - An overview of a perl script wrapper I developed for finer-grained control of du on linux.
- Aging PowerBook Upgrade by a Linux/OS X Geek (Local Copy) (online June 7, 2006 on MacDevCenter) - My thoughts on upgrading a Powerbook to Tiger and configuring the system in a linux-friendly way.
- Using screen for Remote Interaction (Local Copy) (online August 27, 2006 on Linux.com) - how to use the unix utility screen to share command-line interaction and long-distance teaching.
- Firefox as a Desktop Environment - I originally wrote this for an online publication but it was rejected so I'm posting it here.
- Process monitoring with ps-watcher (Local Copy) (online September 28, 2008 on Linux.com) - Using the free tool ps-watcher to monitor and react to process information on your linux or unix machine.
I also keep a list of less serious things I've written on the internet.
You can find videos and slides from presentations I've given over on MyPresentations.